Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
Log in
You are here: Home minutes 2011 5/8/2011 Sunflower Striders Board Meeting Minutes

5/8/2011 Sunflower Striders Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes

SSRC Board Meeting, May, 2011

7:00 p.m., Bakers Dozen

 

Attendees: Brad Rhoden, Marla Rhoden, Norma Weiser, Jared Durall, Paul Wagner, Bryan Jobo, Mary Anne Durall, Justin Chockley

Introductions and new board members:

Justin is interested in taking on the board position. Brad recommended Justin to take on role of treasurer. Brad will work on coordinating transition as well as moving forward with the transition of the back accounts and setting up time with Hunter. Hunter stepped into the Treasurer Role a few years back when the club needed assistance due to a departing board member. He did a great job keeping us going, but has a number of commitments. Brad has the April statement and asked Norma to pass on the May statement when received.

Bryan Jobo has been working on our web site to improve its general appearance and links to information. Bryan has offered to take on the position of Web Master, and work at maintaining the web site. Bryan has  met with Charles, and will continue to work with the board to improve the site.

Chip timing system:

Brad compiled a list of questions regarding the chip timing systems we can evaluate; including items like reliability and accuracy. All system’s under consideration seem to be reliable within the range of99.5%.After looking at both mats and towers the board agreed that the mats have the best design to support a point to point race, without utilizing a gun start and chip finish. All systems still recommend clock timing as the back up. All systems are compatable with race director software and with online registration. Cost for the base mat system is $6000  x 4 meter mat. Sections of the mat can be purchased in 3 meter increments.


To support all local races we would need somewhere between 2000-3000 bibs per year. Board members agreed that the club should purchase in bulk to get the best possible price. Bibs are around$1 per bib; depending on the number of bibs ordered. (they are disposable.)

Paul talked to the rep from MyLaps and the rep indicated that the system is active with an organization in KC, that we can go observe. Paul will look into setting that up.

Brad will reach out to Dr. Iliff regarding the path we have explored.

Misc Club Business:

Race passports- need ideas on what to give people. Paul, Becky and Jared to work on ideas. Wind jackets, bag tags, socks, singlets, t-shirts, prizes for anyone who turns in a passport. The more a member does, the larger the prize.

Brand suggested that we look at changing the format of the race invoice. Move to Letter format vs an invoice. Letter needs to include race name, director name , price per participant , letterhead, and must be with timing equipment

Topeka to Auburn- American Heart Association- Marla received no assistance calling the local office. Brad will mention to Dr Iliff ito see if there is a contact we should be working with.

The Sunflower Striders are considering moving to a philanthropic platform, and working to establish a 501c3. Norma will contact members who might be able to assist. Mary Anne will provide some research,

Giveaway items for t2a. With our Anniversary run in 2012 we need to consider potential options for giveaways other than shirts. Think about items like gym bags,fleece vests, or jackets. Board members are encouraged to look for items and then bring samples to our next meeting. Also under consideration, is if we should add a sponsor to the race. Organizations like Payless/ Collective Brands.


Governor’s Cup-Sunflower State games will give Sunflower Striders a $5 discount. Look for other club promotions for local races like the Governors Cup.


Newsletter go out June 6th. Brad would like to see Bryan do an article about his transformation, Justin on being part of a running family, maybe Jared or Mary Anne doing something on prepping for the Relay. Need to get articles to Becky asap.

We discussed the web, linking to sites like the RRCA, and other organizations that support the local Topeka running community. Also discussed working with Lana on e-mail format to match the work Bryan is doing on the web. Bryan asked about links or feeds to and from Facebook. Brad directed him to Becky, who currently maintains our Face Book page.

Running in Topeka - The Club is hosting a meeting on May 19th for race directors, coaches, local business and organizations that support running in Topeka and club members. The idea is to provide a forum to discuss growing local races. Meetingheld at Washburn – Petro 220.
Jared will do lemon-aid and water for meeting. Paul will do treats. Agenda items should be sent to Brad.
Jared and Norma will work to include city policy and sheriff.

Next meeting will be held on June 5th at Bakers Dozens. Bryan will not be able to attend.

 

New Members

Karin Kingsley

Todd & Brandi Gaddis

Jacob & Sheena Schmidtlein

Dan Lara

« April 2014 »
April
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930
Upcoming Events
Uncorked 100K 4-person relay Apr 26, 2014 07:00 AM - 07:00 PM — Mount Pleasant Estates 5634 High Street Augusta, Missouri 63332
Active Water 5K and 1 Mile Run/ Walk Apr 26, 2014 07:30 AM - 10:30 AM — Rossville Grade School 312 Pottawatomie St , Rossville , KS
Run for Ronald 5K Walk/Run Apr 26, 2014 08:00 AM - 11:00 AM — Lake Shawnee Shelter #1 & 2, 3137 SE 29th St, Topeka, Kansas
Bridge2Bridge 5K Run/Walk Apr 26, 2014 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM — 515 S. Kansas Avenue, Topeka, KS
Hilltop Hustle 2014 Apr 27, 2014 08:00 AM - 11:00 AM — 1605 Irving Hill Road, Lawrence, KS
Upcoming events…