June 13, 2010
SSRC Board Meeting
June 13, 2010
7:00 p.m., Baker’s Dozen
Present: Brad Rhoden, President
John Patch, Vice President
Hunter Munns, Treasurer
Norma Weiser, At-Large Member
Paul Wagner, At-Large Member
Kevin Lemasters, At-Large Member
Marla Rhoden, At-Large Member
Mary Anne Durall, At-Large Member
Jared Durall, At-Large Member
Brad introduced Jared and Mary Anne Durall, members who would like to become more involved with the club. They have been active in volunteering at local races. He suggested they serve as At-Large Members for the present.
Labor Your Legs is scheduled for Labor Day, September 6, 2010, at Crestview Community Center. Brad will get more detailed information from Debbie Pryor, including changes/additions suggested by the Board after last year’s event.
Upcoming races, SSRC involvement:
6/19 – Tinman – SSRC will staff an aid station; Brad will forward information this week. Those volunteering include Paul Wagner, Becky Collins, Sharon Wenger, Scott Cook, John Patch, Cathy Grigsby, Norma Weiser, Jared and Mary Anne Durall, Brad and Marla Rhoden.
7/3 – Run Around Lake Sherwood fun run – Jane Greene is the contact.
7/10 – Fiesta Mexicana, 8:00 a.m. Oakland Community Center – SSRC does timing only
7/16 – SSG Governor’s Cup, 5K & 10K, 7:00 p.m., Hummer Sports Park
7/24 – SSG Cross Country, 8:00 a.m., Iliff Commons
7/31 – Big Shunga 8K, 7:30 a.m., Crestview Community Center
9/4 – Kaw River/Park celebration, Cedar Crest, Kaw Park – 4 mile street/trail run
9/11 – Mother Teresa Catholic Church, 8:00 a.m., North Topeka – SSRC not involved
9/11 – RABC, 9:00 a.m., Washburn – SSRC limited involvement
9/18 – Washburn Alumni Run
9/25 – Combat Air Museum
10/9 – Run for a Reason, Hummer Sports Park
Send race details for upcoming races to Brad for posting on the SSRC web site.
Shawnee County’s Largest Workout is scheduled for Thursday, July 15th, 6:30 p.m., Moore Bowl, Washburn University. The Board discussed promoting the event to get club members there. Lawrence is trying to get 5,000 people for theirs on Tuesday; it was originally scheduled for this past Tuesday but was postponed due to the weather.
· We need to have an updated membership list when mailing out newsletters, to verify if race directors are members, and to verify for the club’s race/volunteer promotion. Hunter will send an updated mailing list to all Board members and will purchase a supply of postage stamps.
· It was decided that Washburn students in the marathon class can join at no charge.
· Hunter reported that we received a check for $500 from the Ronald McDonald House Run, along with a note of appreciation.
· Members who have lapsed: Aarnes, Barcellina, Bell, Beattie, Birtell, Deckert, T. Estes, Hall, Iliff, Johnson, Kidd, Lalond, Leinwetter, Longenecker-Schmidt, Phillips, Roberson, Roberts, Romans, Seevers, E. Smith, Tosh, Vossler, Wade. Hunter will ask Becky to send reminder postcards.
· Club membership is currently at 131.
· Hunter suggested that the club provide free membership to local high school cross country runners. He will check with coaches to make sure the high schoolers can accept free membership.
Website – Brad asked Board members to post what items we can to update the web site.
Newsletter – Discussed distribution, soliciting contributions from others than regular contributors and from GPRC, and adding more photos.
Topeka to Auburn:
· Brad suggested the Board consider changing from Active.com to Race-it and will check into it further for more information.
· Brad suggested that Norma receive entries first so that she can enter data into the database, and then she will get the entries to Hunter for deposit.
· Norma said the TCF inmates would like to hold a ½ marathon and 5K in January in conjunction with TTA, possibly a week or two later, as a fundraiser for Girls on the Run. She asked the Board to consider donating shirts for the race. It was agreed that the Board will purchase shirts for the TCF participants.
· Norma requested approval to purchase the updated Race Director software for $150. The purchase was approved.
· Hunter reported that the club balance is currently just over $8,000.
· Hunter would like to host another fun run at his ranch in late September or early October. He will check with the Stackens to see if they want to be involved.
Next Meeting July 11, 2010 at Pizagel’s, 29th and Fairlawn. The club will provide pizza or sandwiches for Board members at the meeting.